Friday, June 19, 2009

"Pretend I'm her. Amanda Jones."

I wonder if I'll ever grow out of my love for romantic comedies? Specifically the romantic comedies I watched over and over again during my formative years. (We had the movie channel back when there was only one movie channel to have.) Recently, while buying a birthday present for the Fiancé, I bought myself a little present - a copy of "Some Kind of Wonderful" on DVD. I needed to replace my VHS version, which was taped from television oh so many years ago. Especially because the tape ended about 5 minutes before the end, which is one of the best parts, so I had hastily rewound a few minutes and then hit record again, so it was really an awful mishmash.

Since the Fiancé headed north last night, I settled in with laundry to fold and put the movie on. It had been a long time since I'd watched the whole thing from start to finish. Man, I love it! It's a little hard to watch Eric Stoltz and not think of his creepy, death row character from "Grey's Anatomy" now, but I managed. And Mary Stuart Masterson is so great as Watts! The first kiss scene between Eric and Mary is probably one of my favourites. She's totally in control! Calling all the shots!



And a great last line: "You look good wearing my future."

Here's a bit of trivia regarding this film that I've just learned from the almighty IMDB - Lea Thompson and the film's director, Howard Deutch, fell in love while making this movie and have been married for 20 years! That not only explains why Lea and Eric's kiss in the movie is a little devoid of chemistry, but also why Lea is the actor that's part of the commentary on the DVD. Put that in your Trivial Pursuit pipe and smoke it!

2 comments:

Crissy Calhoun said...

Watts is my favorite part of that movie, hands down. I didn't actually see it until this year! It was a big hole in my 80s teen romantic comedy knowledge!

Janine Falcon . BEAUTYGEEKS said...

One of my most favouritest movies EVER. That's a teenage story I wish belonged to me. Could Eric Stoltz, despite all that makeup, have been more beautiful? And yep, one of the best first-kiss scenes of ALL TIME. *sigh*

Related Posts with Thumbnails