Sunday, December 21, 2008

All I want for Christmas...

I remember the very first time I ever splurged on something. I was 13 and my parents gave me $100 as a combined birthday present/back-to-school shopping fund. I even got to take the bus into downtown Ottawa with a friend to spend it. I hardly slept the night before - I was that excited.

While I didn't have any trouble falling asleep last night (we'd been out at the Sarah Slean concert, so just battling the snow was tiring enough), I did wake up with a sense of excitement. And it was certainly fun to walk into the Apple store and say, "I'd like to buy a MacBook."

It's even more fun to type on it right this minute! I can't tell you how much faster it is than my sad old PC.

The expenditure did give me pause - I do believe it's the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. But after weighing all the pros and cons, I do feel like the pros won the war. So I'm not going to think about how far the money could have gone towards my current financial goals. Well, I'm going to try not to think about it.

Oh, and in case any of you are worried that this purchase is the beginning of a slippery slide into debt, rest assured. This fancy new toy will be paid off in just a few days.

Merry Christmas to me.

Tax goal: $2000
Current balance: $1045

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new acquisition! You freelance some, so you'd have a little bit of a write-off at tax time, yes? It's a career investment! Not just a pretty face.

Happy ho ho ho :-)

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing! You can never go wrong with a Mac... Merry Christmas!

Tammy said...

Thanks ladies! And yes, Janine, I do plan on writing it off. That was one of my main reasons for doing it right now rather than waiting a bit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails