Sunday, July 10, 2011

One week down!


Sorry! I went awol there for a little bit. It's just that Violet has suddenly decided a) to nurse A LOT, b) that her crib is a place of torture rather than a peaceful retreat, and c) that sleep is for the weak.

Yep. A trying couple of days around here. For about three months she's been happily sleeping in her crib for a few naps a day and from 6pm-ish to 6am-ish, only up once for a feeding and then right back down most nights. Sunday night we couldn't get her to sleep in her crib until 9:30pm. Last night it was 11pm, after an hour long walk, more than an hour of nursing, and lots and lots of screaming. And the only way she would nap yesterday was on my lap, after being nursed to sleep, or in the car.

Sigh.

Did I mention that the mornings after these trying nights she started her day at 5:30am?

Ugh. I am, once again, tired. Like, really tired. We think she's working on some more teeth and/or going through a growth spurt. All I know is that the awesome schedule I was accustomed to, where she would have 45 minute cat naps every two hours with little to no fuss, is gone. Time to figure out what to do now.

By 9am this morning, when she was clearly exhausted but not interested in being in her crib, I pulled out her vibrating chair. We had thought she was long done with it, preferring to wiggle and be free. It worked like a charm... for about a half an hour. I'll take what I can get!

Anyway, here's where we are with this challenge of mine.

Sunday
Daily target: 32
Daily total: 36
Flex points bank: 18

Monday
Daily target: 32
Daily total: ?? (Things kind of fell apart at the end of the day. Not that I went crazy at all, just that counting was no longer a priority.)
Activity earned: 2

First week weigh-in: 171.5
DOWN 2.5 lbs!

That's the right direction! And it motivates me not to eat everything in the house today, even though this fatigue wreaks havoc with my willpower.

4 comments:

Paronomaniac said...

Congratulations! It must feel good to be losing even with your crazy schedule!

Tammy said...

Thanks! It does feel good. It feels good to be able to control ONE thing in my life at the moment, since I can't make Violet sleep!

lisatoronto said...

Ugh, I HEAR you. Really. Sleep deprivation is torture and seemingly never-ending. I'm going to be the bad guy and caution you about lulling her to sleep somewhere then transferring her-- in the long run it's not going to help. She needs to fall asleep in her own bed from a snoozy-but-awake state so that she develops self-soothing skills. That's what's going to make her a good sleeper long term. (I know. You hate me right now.)
Try going through your bedtime routine, putting her in the crib, then shushing her while you sit facing away from her. Every 5 minutes move a foot or two closer to the door. Once you are out of the room, shush her a little more-- so that she associates that sound with you being there. Try not to go in-- just shush at the door. BELIEVE me, you want to nip this in the bud. I know people with almost two year olds who still are not sleeping through the night...
XOXO
Lisa

Tammy said...

Thanks, Lisa! She's normally got self-soothing down pat, but things got a little desperate. I think her sleep schedule for the whole day is suddenly shifting, which is strange for both her and I.
We've used the shushing technique at times, but do you do this even when they're screaming? In that case, isn't it just letting them "cry it out?"

Related Posts with Thumbnails