Sunday, December 13, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree

Ah, how I love a Christmas tree! They're so beautiful. And sometimes they are perfect design elements that carry a home's style into the holidays.



But that one's not mine! This one is:



The Husband and I bought it on Thursday evening, started decorating it on Friday night and then finally finished it off this morning. As you can see, it's slightly wonky, with a few branches sticking out much further than the others, and it lacks a certain overall design aesthetic. But what it does have is a whole bunch of history.

These apple ornaments were the very first ones I ever bought for myself, my first Christmas away from home back in 1996:



I bought my angel that year too, from a very country-chic store. I certainly wouldn't describe our apartment as country-chic in any way, but I'm still drawn to the simple apples and the homey angel with the paper hair.



The first year that the Husband and I were dating, he took a two-week trip to Scotland in the fall. One of the gifts that he brought home for me was this little plaid Santa:



The second year that we were dating, he took me to The Bay at Eaton Centre to see their big Christmas display, which they call Christmas Street. He bought these ornaments that day and he gets excited about them every year when we bring them out.



Two years ago I asked my mom what happened to all of the ornaments that hung on our Christmas trees during my childhood, since both my parents remarried when I was in my twenties. Turns out that she had many of them tucked away, so she sent them across the country to me. Included in that precious parcel were all sorts of German wooden ornaments from our years overseas, such as this little Oktoberfest guy:



And some elaborate crafty ornaments we made almost 30 years ago that involved blown eggs and some fancy decoupage:



Those old ornaments are probably my favourite, because they bring back that feeling of childhood Christmases with my original family. (Not that I don't adore all of the new versions of my family, but there's something special about remembering where you started.)

And finally, we have the ornaments supplied by the fantastic guy I chose for a husband:



Nothing says Christmas like the dark side of the Force!

Now for the money shot:



Ahhhhhh, Christmas.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails