Friday, December 4, 2009

It's a good thing needles don't bother me!

Warning! If you have very strong feelings AGAINST vaccinations, just do yourself a favour and don't read this post. Seriously, Jenny McCarthy and company - just look away!

Okay. Welcome to the rest of you!

I am in the process of becoming a human pincushion.

It all started with my first trip to see my new doctor, who is clearly very pro-vaccine. In our delightfully thorough first meeting, she asked all sorts of questions that my last doctor never even touched on. (He also made me cry once, but that's another story.) The topic of chicken pox came up and I was all, "Ya, I'm pretty certain I never had that." And she was all, "Well, for some people it's just one pock and they don't even notice. Let's take some blood and find out if you're immune." The blood test was very clear - I have never, ever, ever had chicken pox. And not only is it bad to get as an adult, it's REALLY bad to get if you're pregnant. So I made an appointment and got a needle in each arm. One side for chicken pox and the other for measles, mumps and rubella. (Also things I never had.) On the way out I am prompted to make an appointment for early in the new year because I need a booster to complement the first shots. Sigh.

While I had an audience with my doctor, we had the whole H1N1 discussion. I had debated with various people about whether or not to get the shot. I didn't have a strong feeling either way, to be honest. I also have a pretty wicked immune system, if I do say so myself. (And I maintain that it's because I'm not fanatic about germs and stuff. Germs happen. I avoid eating spoonfuls of dirt, but other than that I don't stress too much.) But the doctor sort of talked me into it, so I'm headed in next week to get both the regular and the H1N1. More holes in my arms.

THEN the Husband asked me if I thought we needed any shots for our upcoming honeymoon (42 DAYS!) and so I asked my doctor's office about that. They said I should get the Twin RX vaccine for Hep A and B. It involves two shots fairly close together AND a booster. Holy crap!

So, if you see me out and about and I have a slight glow about me, it's just because I'm slowly, but surely, becoming bionic with the help of modern medicine.

4 comments:

Lesbian Librarian said...

I hear you about needles - in the last 10 days, I've had both H1N1 and flu (I work with tons of people all day) and with Egypt looming, we are getting Twinrix and Typhoid...

At least we both got out Tetanus shots a few years back (yup, there's another one that you must get every 10 years to be effective).

Arlene said...

Warning: The H1N1 will leave your arm sore for about 3 days. If not the whole arm, then definitely the spot where the needle does its thing.

And yes, Twinrix is a good thing to get when you're travelling. You can drink bottled water, but think of the ice cubes!! However, it's good for like 20 years or something.

A

Tammy said...

Carly, my doctor was talking about tetnus, too. Maybe I'll wait a few months for that one.

And Arlene, everyone has been suffering from the H1N1 sore arm thing. Kind of weird, don't you think?

Lesbian Librarian said...

With h1N1 I was only sore for 1 day - reg flu was about same time...

Guess I am a freak...

Related Posts with Thumbnails