Friday, July 2, 2010

San Francisco - Day Six

It's the Husband's birthday today, so rather than rushing up and out into the city, I took my time this morning and spent the couple of hours before he had to go to work hanging out with him. I went down to the French bistro below us (how I will miss it!) and got some yummy breakfast takeout. I also surprised him with a gift I picked up at Chronicle Books the other day. His real gift for this big (he's 40!) birthday is a trip to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, which we'll take later in the summer/fall, hopefully when there's a launch happening.

Before I set out on my adventures yesterday, we commemorated the 14 week mark of my pregnancy with the first official belly shot:


If it looks a little big for 14 weeks, it's probably at least 20% vacation belly! Seriously, it's time to go home now, so that I don't have the "I'm on vacation" excuse to eat novelty food items. Like fudge. And chocolate croissants.

Anyway, I started my morning back at Pier 39 at Aquarium on the Bay:




The tunnels were really cool. You truly felt like you were underwater:


And then I got to the Touch Pools, where you're allowed to touch! I touched skates:


And a bat ray, which was really friendly:


And a turtle:


I also touched a shark (!!!), but I didn't get a great shot of him. Speaking of sharks... I went back to the shark tunnel for their feeding time, which was cool. Two divers went into the tunnel to feed them:


Post aquarium, I headed to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. I'd heard really great things about this place from all sorts of people and it did not disappoint!

Here's a shot of the lobby:


Some art:


Who doesn't like a museum where you get to walk through a curtain of gold beads!?


This piece was really cool. Different words would periodically light up, sending different messages:


The rooftop sculpture garden and café is really lovely:


And this cool trestle bridge, which freaked me out because you could kind of see through it and down six floors!


Since I'd really not slept well the night before, I followed all this up with a three-hour nap and then just wandered around the city a bit in the early evening. I must admit, even though I've had a FANTASTIC time, it suddenly hit me yesterday afternoon that I'm ready to go home now. I want my own kitchen. I want to see Daphne. I'd like to get back to my routine. As much as I adore going on vacation, I also love going home again. So I'm glad that tomorrow is our journey home.

Meanwhile, one last day today! I was hoping I would have lots of energy to tackle a few of the things I'd still really like to do, but I think I'll take it a bit easy instead. Tonight I will get the chance to eat at the restaurant the Husband has been filming at all week, which I'm looking forward to. For now, I'm going to finally hop in the shower and face this day!

4 comments:

Arlene said...

Tam, is Pier 39 part of the Fisherman's Wharf?? A

Tammy said...

Yes. Fisherman's Wharf is a larger area along the water, but Pier 39 is part of it. Pier 39 is sort of like being at a fair, but on water, because it's got all the novelty food stores that make the air smell like hot sugar and lots of tourist shops and stuff.

Jodie said...

You look gorgeous.
:)

Tammy said...

Thanks Jodie! I bought some maternity dresses today and I REALLY look pregnant in them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails