Sunday, June 27, 2010

San Francisco - Day Two

Before I begin the photo essay of my awesome day, have a look at this amazing two-floor space for lease, which we can see from our hotel window:


Could it be any more awesome? The Husband and I have decided that we're going to move here and open a comic book/stationary/café/flower shop. It's really a genius idea and I don't think we can possibly fail, so we'll just throw all of our savings at that rather than buy a house in Toronto.

Anyway, on with my day! I hopped on my cheesy (read: awesome!) double-decker bus and snapped some cool shots. Here's the unique Transamerica Pyramid building. The beautiful building in the foreground is where Francis Ford Coppola's American Zoetrope postproduction facilities and his Café Zoetrope restaurant are located.


A little public art on a building at the edge of Chinatown:


Coit Tower. I am trying to decided whether I can haul my pregnant, hasn't-been-to-the-gym-because-I-was-sick-for-three-months butt up the Filbert Street Steps, which lead to the tower. I think my tour guide today said there are 481 steps. And then I suppose you have to climb the tower... But apparently the views are incredible AND the inside of the tower is filled with murals. Mmmmm...


Pretty church against the amazing blue skies we had today. (Hence my sunburn...)


Maybe this is where the Husband and I will live when our hybrid shop is spectacularly successful and creates a new shopping genre that mixes disparate elements together!


I hopped off the bus at Pier 39. Totally touristy, but I am totally a tourist.




I had forgotten that this was where the sea lions hang out, so when I rounded a corner and heard their strange honking voices, I may have gasped out loud with glee.


They are crazy cute and so fun to watch. I also discovered that Daphne is part sea lion! The way that she flattens herself out and slides down off the couch is EXACTLY how the sea lions slide off the piers into the water!!

Oh, sea lions spooning!


And look at this face! Could it be any sweeter?


View of the city from the pier:


What's that you say? A carousel!? Yes, please!


I, of course, chose to ride the sea lion after just swooning over them:


I did not deign to ride the dolphin! (What is a dolphin doing on a carousel, anyway!?)


The pride flag flying at the pier. This city, in case you missed the memo, is all about the gays!


Another view of the Pyramid building:


And speaking of the gays, I happened upon the Pride Parade by chance!




It was a HUGE parade with lots of people cheering and some serious public displays of nudity, both nice to look at and not so nice at all.

Then I reached The Embarcadero, which runs along the water:


And the Ferry Building:



I picked up some lunch in the Ferry Building at Il Cana Rosso (a great suggestion from a friend) and ate it while looking at this view:


Then I strolled through the building checking out the amazing little food and specialty shops. I avoided this one:


And I admired all the lovely little mosaics throughout:


Finally, I strolled along the water for a bit:


And then walked all the way along The Embarcadero to the spot where I could hop back on the bus, so it could take me back to the hotel. Phew! I'm exhausted after a full day and posting all of this! And not feeling so great. I suspect a touch of heat stroke or just some old-fashioned jet lag, since I was awake before 6 a.m. this morning. Either way, I'm going to cash it in soon, even though the Husband left before me this morning and is STILL WORKING! Poor guy. At least I'm appreciating the hotel room to its full advantage!

2 comments:

Romina said...

That sunshine!
What a great city. I've always wanted to visit and now living vicariously through you. Love the business model you've laid out. Win. Win.

Tammy said...

Romina, we will need employees, so pack your bags! We offer five weeks vacation to start, a full benefits plan and we're closing the shop every day between noon and 3 p.m. for siesta.
And yes, the weather is crazy fantastic! It looks like sunshine the whole week long.

Related Posts with Thumbnails