Sunday, June 27, 2010

San Francisco - Day One

I’m determined not to get behind on posting about my trip, so I’m composing this from the charming French bistro that is literally beside the hotel. Could anything be better for me? I adore a French bistro and can think of no better way to begin my first full day in San Francisco than with a pain au chocolate before I board a very touristy double-decker bus to give me the lay of the land.

After a long day of traveling yesterday, we arrived and I got my first glimpse of both water and amazing hills where the clouds sort of rest on the peaks. Then downtown with its gorgeous architecture and, finally, our funky hotel:


Hotel Triton, with the awesome French bistro next door.


A little fountain out front.


The rubber duckies are wearing rainbows, because it's Pride Weekend in San Francisco. Seriously! I am here during PRIDE! All my favourite gays will be so jealous.

Lobby shots:



Our room:





It's teeny, but it makes up for lack of space with TONS of personality.

We are right at the foot of Chinatown, which means there’s are lots of stores selling HUGE chandeliers and statues and tables entirely made of mother-of-pearl. I can’t really figure out who buys this stuff, although it does remind me of that Michael Jackson special from years ago where the reporter followed him around and he was buying crazy opulent things of this nature. Now that he’s gone, who else keeps these stores afloat? Perhaps Katy Perry. I could see her buying a fully carved four-posted bed with gold leaf that looks like it belongs in Versailles.

Anyway, after getting settled and exploring a few blocks, it was SO time for dinner. Between the time change and the awful airport food options, this pregnant lady needed a hot, yummy meal! I spied a little French place (I’m obsessed!) down an alley by the hotel and was immediately won over by the intimate little tables and candlelight. And luckily the Husband didn’t have to start work yet, so he and I got to have dinner together! This was very exciting, because I didn’t think I’d get to see him at all during this trip, except for when I roll over in the middle of the night and reach WAY across the king-sized bed to say hello.

So we had a delicious dinner where I was unable to resist the French Onion Soup (bad vegetarian!) and the bread basket (whipped butter!). The husband had a great chevre salad with pear and candied walnuts (goat cheese – I miss you! See you in about six months) and then we split an order of pomme frites and a little vegetarian lasagna. It was exactly what I needed, minus the glass of red wine that would have complemented it all so perfectly (wine – I miss you, too).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails