Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Honeymoon Part 1 (AKA I have terrible taste in movies...)

After five full days of no Internet access while on our honeymoon, we had a legitimate reason to log in today. And since I'm logged in, I thought I'd provide you with the first part of the honeymoon story. The following was written on January 15th, while on our way to St. Lucia:



Public service announcement: Do not rent “Post Grad.”

Seriously. I have a very high tolerance for mediocre romcoms. And if you look at the cast list, it seems like there’s some promise to this flick, even though the premise is flimsy. But do not be seduced by the likes of Michael Keaton, Jane Lynch, CAROL BURNETT! Even the really hot guy that Laura Linney almost gets it on with in “Love Actually” is in this movie. But he’s romancing Rory Gilmore.

Yes, this movie rests on the slim shoulders of Rory Gilmore. Sure, the preview says that Alexis Bledell is the star, but considering that the character got kick-ass grades in high school, a big scholarship to university where she was almost the valedictorian and she’s chasing a career in publishing, she’s totally Rory. It’s like they didn’t even try! They just swapped charming Stars Hollow for some nameless suburb and one kooky mother for a whole kooky family, minus the smart, witty banter.

Blech! The Husband was watching “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs” right beside me and it looked way better. Oh well, at least it was a free movie on a flight. Right?

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I must say .... I liked post-grad (which I also saw on the plane) but I probably liked it because:
1. it was the first time all month that I had briefly stopped working
2. I probably had a nice gin-and-7 in my hand while flying in exec
3. It was a nice, and much needed brain drain.

To be honest though, I wish that someone had told me growing up that just getting good grads and being nice wasn't actually enough to get a job. That's truly what I thought - and just like Rory, I went in to interviews rambling on with stories of my life, and just trying to be "likeable"! No one ever told me that I should try to get experience (that wasn't tap dancing) or learn frameworks for interviewing or develop a network. And so ... I think I related with Rory a little too much. Of course instead of hanging with my dad and helping him with crazy business schemes - I spent my unemployment time doing my nails and drinking with friends at what some would call inappropriate times of the day! ;-)

Tammy said...

Care, I remember your brief spate of post-grad unemployment so fondly! I suspect that may have been the only truly non-productive time in your entire life (since as a baby you were busy learning motor and speech skills). You're the most insanely accomplished person I know, so I treasure the memories of your afternoon drinking, because it allows me to still be your friend rather than wither away in envy of your accomplishments.
Bring on the blender drinks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails