Monday, January 11, 2010

Tammy - a story in hair

Let's talk about my hair, shall we?



The husband says that I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking (and complaining) about my hair. You, too? Or is it just me? Anyway, let's start at the beginning.



Kindergarten. My mom claims that I was so difficult about having my hair done that she had no choice by to give me a bowl-shaped pixie cut. (The style was trés chic back in the day.) Granted, I think it was pretty cute, but there's still some underlying emotional trauma from being the only little girl in my whole kindergarten class without pigtails.



The bowl cuts continued for several years, meaning I never learned the fine art of French braiding, until my mom brought me to the salon and introduced me to the world of permanents! Who knew that several hours of tight painful curlers, countless neck-breaking rounds at the rinse sink and a good long bake under the infrared lights (or whatever they were) could produce something so magical! But even better - you could skip the salon altogether and DO IT AT HOME!



This is really the darkest period of hairstory for me.



(Bonus points if you noticed from the earliest photos that I actually have my very own curly hair! Who knew? I suppose you just went with the flow in the 80s.)

At some point there was nothing left to do, but start again. (Also, hooray for contact lenses and tweezers!)



I loved the ease of a pixie cut, but I don't really have the delicate feminine features to really pull it off.

Overall in my life, I have rarely had long hair. A couple of times it's been an inch or two past my shoulders, but rarely did that length flatter me. Also, since I have LOTS of hair and it likes to hold on to moisture for as long as possible, having length of any sort just makes actually doing my hair an awful chore. (No natural dry setting. I am so jealous of women who can wash their hair at night, sleep on it wet and wake up ready to go. We're talking serious frizzy fuzz my friends!)

Alas, on to the reason for my post. In the past few days I have had three lovely hair compliments. Do you know why? Obviously it's because I have an appointment to cut the majority of it off tomorrow. Murphy's law! It's gotten fairly long post wedding and is annoying me. I want to enjoy a fresh new 'do for the impending honeymoon. (FOUR MORE SLEEPS!) What's the point of growing it if you don't get to enjoy cutting it all, I always say!

Stay tuned for the new me...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails