Friday, July 25, 2008

If only there were still card catalogues...

Rather than just rush home after work, which is my weirdo tendancy, I decided to go meet the DP so we could walk home together. He's just north of Yonge and Bloor, so it's a nice walk through richy-rich town. Fancy decor stores and such. I almost expect them to charge me for window shopping.

Anyway, I was early to meet the DP, so I thought I'd pop into the Reference Library and browse through some magazines while I waited.

Quick aside: I love the Reference Library. Even with its strange 1960s decor. I love how open and spacious it feels. I love all the learning material within. And I love the memories of my time spent there during my theatre days, going through musical scores, hoping to find that magical audition piece that no one else performed. Good vibes.

I headed up to the 4th floor and started to wander through the stacks of bound periodicals when I had the most delightful realization.

Stuff that I have written is available for public viewing at the Reference Library!

It wasn't an entirely new revelation - I'd had the moment at my little local branch before - but because it was the enormous Reference Library, it meant something more. And just like that, I checked off a little box on my lifetime To-Do list. Imagine! It's not everyday that you get to put a checkmark on that list. (Although I suppose we should strive to do that everyday.)

And sure, my stuff in the library is not going to change lives. They're service articles about everyday stuff. But still. Not everyone can say that they've got stuff in the library.

For now I'll leave the "Write a book" box on my list unmarked. But one day...

One day...

Total debt: $5469 (It's down a little more...)
Spent today: $5.87 (But this was still in my wallet from last week!)

1 comment:

Ghostface Knittah said...

I'm so gonna look you up the next time I'm there!

FYI, the National Library in Bombay is still entirely running on card catalogues. And they're hand-written...

Related Posts with Thumbnails